The MGC Challenge is an annual program that serves as a guide to help communities measures their progress towards sustainability. This rating system is open to all local governments in Michigan. Benefits of participating in the MGC Challenge include:
- Roadmap for sustainability initiatives
- Earn bronze, silver, or gold certification for your community
- Benchmark your own community’s progress towards sustainability initiatives
- Compare and compete with other Michigan communities
Signing up for the MGC Challenge is easy! It takes just three steps to participate.
- Register for an online account – Participation is free and open to any local government in Michigan.
- Fill out the action items and reporting metrics – After registering, you’ll have access to an online form where you can indicate which projects and initiatives are underway in your community. View a PDF of the Challenge actions and reporting metrics.
- Celebrate your successes – Attend the annual awards ceremony and share your MGC press release!
The deadline for certification for 2018 is May 31, 2018. You may make changes to your checklist anytime up to this date. Changes made after this date will count towards next year’s Challenge.
All communities that participate in the Challenge earn positive recognition for their sustainability efforts. The three recognition levels – Bronze, Silver, and Gold – acknowledge progressively higher levels of achievement. The following table outlines the requirements for each certification level.
Challenge participants earn a logo to display on their website and in print materials, will be publicized at the annual conference and on the MGC website, and will be included in a press release. Learn more about past participants and their accomplishments!